A day in a United World School

Saturday 8 September 2012

Episode IV - A New Hope

Song of the day: The Golden Room - Joe Satriani (Black Swans & Wormhole Wizards)


Today has been the first day of diving of the term. Only fun diving, as Dave had an Open Water student, but still nice. Our guide was Samantha, another instructor whom I still need to get to know better - although she hasn't been as welcoming as Dave. Still, she's been kind of friendly.

We went to Sibuan Island, where we dive three times. Our best finds include several frogfish, lionfish, crocodile flatheads, banded shrimps, and an octopus. And of course, lots and lots of beautiful coral.




But this blog is not just about diving. It's about my experiences.

After the de-briefing at the center, the instructors were going to grab some food (dinner) and Dave (who else) told to me to join them. Gladly I did, for I was frightened of the solitude of a lonesome dinner! They're quite a cool group - I still need to get to know all of them better, but they're quite playful. I didn't feel that they were trying to include me in the conversation, but neither was I, and we were all tired from a day of diving, so I don't blame anybody. Anyways, it was a nice dinner (Nasi Goreng Kampung!), and I got to know them a little. The experience has fueled my hope for a better future.


Tomorrow, although the Open Water under Dave's instruction hasn't finished hers, I'm starting my course. So Dave will have to do twice the work - I'll try to make it easy for him. 

After dinner and shower, I went to a big supermarket they showed me. I've bought a bath towel, new bedsheets, and pens and a notebook. I've also seen a travel mattress which I may buy to improve my nest, but it didn't indicate the price, so I'll check tomorrow. I already had too many things in my hands to carry it anyways. I've also forgotten to buy an outlet multiplier, as I only have one socket in the room and at least two devices that need frequent charging plus the fan.

I'm writing this post from the hotel reception, which serves a quite fast WiFi, but I can't get any socket nearby so I'm just working on battery. Plus, there's air conditioning - a real luxury around these parts. I plan to read some more of my Rescue Diver's book and learn the guitar for today's song before going to bed.

And so, this post is done. My dear readers, enjoy your beds, your showers, your canteens or kitchens, and most of all, the people around you that look after you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment