A day in a United World School

Monday 10 September 2012

Episode V - The Lookout

Song of the day: Riding with the King - Eric Clapton & B.B. King (Riding with the King)




Apparently I said I was going to start my training today? Well, NOPE. But it wasn't Chuck Testa. Dave (my instructor) is just too cool to do two things at a time, but still a very smart man. So, instead of training on rescue techniques and the like, he decided it was time to train my spotter's eyes. Thereby, he gave me directions on how to find the following little creatures:






Bubble Coral Shrimp. As its name indicates, it dwells within the shelter of bubble coral, these friendly guys may hop on board and perform a manicure if you offer them a hand!












Hairy Squat Lobster. Unfortunately, they're too tiny to be noticed in this detail underwater, but still cool! They inhabit the grooves of great barrel sea sponges, and feed on zooplankton.











Commensal Shrimp - I found a whole colony of these! They live in anemones, just as clownfish, and won't mind coming up to check you out.






Apart from these, I also spotted some very tiny nudibranches (less than a centimeter!), two morays and a sea snake, all in just three dives.  Absolutely amazing!
However, the panorama was not so good above the water - the sea was getting pretty rough, and the wind and rain shed no mercy. Truly, we were freezing, when the previous day we had all got sunburnt!
The Gods in Malaysia don't keep their rage to themselves.

We got back home quite early (we barely rested between dives, it was too cold!), so we each went our way. Nonetheless, I arranged with a Swiss guy to have dinner together - he's here alone too, though only for ten days. After the pertinent washing of the gear and debriefing, and enjoying a shower with too little water pressure, I went on to buy a mattress - it had become clear I needed something soft to put between my bones and the wooden plank. It's just a travel mattress and it's not the best either, but it plays its role. 

When we went out for dinner we found the not-so-friendly instructor, Sam. She's a strange person.  She's not open at all - I identify her with a stone wall. She's not unfriendly, neither mean, nor cold. But it's still hard to deal with her, she's the kind of person that doesn't seem to care about anything. Such behavior seems to me like a defense barrier, erected to hide weaknesses, but actually showing they exist. Perhaps it's just me. What becomes clear is that I shouldn't put too much effort on building a friendship with her, as it just won't work.

Anyways, after dinner the Swiss guy (we didn't even ask for each other's name) invited me to his room in view that I didn't really have a comfortable place to go and he has a TV, but as we were both exhausted, I simply went out to Skype Mum and Dad and told him he could go to sleep. It was a bit of an awkward situation, but that's what loneliness makes us do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment